- A group of faculty members from the department of Mechanical Engineering have done need based assessment of Rice Mill Cluster at Lakhisarai, Nalanda, Raxul, Baxaur. They are working with Govt.of Bihar (MSME) for the development of these clusters.
- Another team has been working with licchi growers.
- We have done evaluation studies of MGNREGA, JSY, RTE and their like.
- Issues of solid waste management in Patna (declared as the garbage city of India).
- One of our BTech. graduate worked on a Smartphone for the blind that is completely Braille based. Below is a picture of the first prototype.
- Rural Technology Development Club. This is run by the students. A group of our 5th semester students has come up with a pedal powered wheat crop cutting machine.
- These students during their visit to rural areas near our upcoming permanent campus understood problems with manual reaping of crops like wheat and paddy.
- Analyzing all the aspects of problems like (fuel price, time, posture) students have proposed the pedal powered crop reaping design which will work for both wheat and paddy.
- A cutting mechanism is installed on quadricycle. Vehicle and cutting operation will be simultaneously performed by pedal operation. Pedal power is used to drive the belt with which cutter and crop collectors are attached.
- This product is unique of its kind in the market. All wheat harvester present in the market are either electrical or fuel powered product.
- Community education with focus on empowerment.
- Heath education (e.g. kalazaar), maternal and child health, nutrition, sanitation and their like. Health Kiosks for information and awareness of health issues.
- We will give special attention to women and children along with physically and socially vulnerable sections.
- Teacher training on weekends in the IITP premises.
- Computer literacy and education through latest technology.
Waste --- Enterprise
Agricultural waste produced as a result of various agricultural operations. It includes manure and other wastes from farms, poultry houses and slaughterhouses; harvest waste; fertilizer run- off from fields; pesticides that enter into water, air or soils; and salt and silt drained from fields.
Renewable and sustainable.
We can focus on Biomass.
The villages around Bihta were the hub of sugar production. These sugar mills have lost in competition. Nevertheless, substantial sugarcane is grown in this area. Other agricultural and animal residues are in abundance.
Prof. Chittaranjan Sahay, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Hartford has agreed to guide us.
Energy is an important need. We intend to use our faculty expertise on solar energy as well.
- IITP has recently established few Centre(s) for better coordinated research. Faculty colleagues have initiated work on areas which will strengthen the goal of Unnat Bharat Abhiyan.
- For example, at the Centre for Energy and Environment, we have projects like- Clean drinking water using low-cost fog collection and moisture condensation technology.
- Development of robot for municipal solid waste sorting, Direct solar steam generation for compact steam power plant, and their like.
- World Bank supported RWSS (Rural Water Supply and Sanitation) project & Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation for community based interventions of women and children.
- Facilitate rural entrepreneurs by connecting them with technological support from the Institute as well as financial help from banks and local industries.
- Continue to learn from and examine the functioning of different government policies to strengthen them further.
- Seek collaborations and guidance with other IITs for better working of our UBA Cell.
- Develop villages around our upcoming campus as model villages and then scale it up throughout Bihar.