|Dr. Sumanta Gupta
|Ph.D, IIT Kharagpur
- Optical fiber communication
- Free space optical communication
- Underwater wireless optical communication
- Silicon Photonics
- Photonic Neuromorphic computing
- ML & DL for optical communication
- All-optical signal processing
|Courses taught at IITP
- Signals Systems and Networks (EE220)
- Electromagnetic Theory (EE340)
- Fiber Optic Transmission Systems and Networks (EE430)
- Advanced Digital Communication (EE530)
- Optical Communication (EE532)
- Advanced Optical Fiber Communication and Photonic Technology (EE716)
- Electromagnetic Theory and Applications (EE341)
- Semiconductor Devices and Circuits (EE200)
- Communication Systems (EE330)
- Basic Electronics Laboratory (EE102)
- Communication Laboratory (EE331)
- Communication System Engineering Lab-II (EE542)
- Shruti Verma
- Area of the Research: Optical Fiber-based Distributed Sensing
- Gopal Krishna
- Area of the Research: Underwater Optical Wireless Communication
- Abhishek Mani Shukla
- Area of the Research: Short Range High Speed Optical Communication
- Debi Pada Jana
- Title of the Thesis: Experimental Investigation of Power and Wavelength Division Multiplexed Short Range Optical Transmission Systems
- Sneha Kumari
- Title of the Thesis: Performance estimation of passive silicon photonic devices including stress-optic effect
- Subhradeep Pal
- Title of the Thesis: Design and Analysis of Silicon Photonic Switches and Modulators using PIN Diode and Junction-less Structures
- Bishanka Brata Bhowmik
- Title of the Thesis: Design and Characterization of Micro-Ring Resonator Based Devices for Fiber Optic Transmission Systems
- Associate Professor, EE Department, IIT Patna (2017-Present)
- Assistant Professor, EE Department, IIT Patna (2010-2017)
- Senior Engineer, Ciena India Pvt. Ltd. (2008-2010)
- Visiting researcher in Centre of Excellence for Communication Network Engineering (CEIRC), Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna, Pisa, Italy (2005-2007)
- Lecturer, Heritage Institute of Technology (2003-2004)
- Graduate Apprentice, Philips India Pvt. Ltd., Lighting Division (2001-2001)
|Awards & Honours
- Research scholarship in the field of Information and Communication Technologies related to the advanced topics in Photonic Networks and Optoelectronics Systems at CEIRC in Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Pisa, Italy.
|Project Title||Role: PI/Co-PI||Funding Agency||Status|
|Integrated Photonic Artificial Neural Networks (INPATIENT)
||Department of Science and Technology, Govt. of India
|Deep Learned Detection and Classification of Multiple Intrusions Using WDM Intensity and Phase Sensitive OTDR in Underwater Environment
||Defence Research and Development Organisation
|Design and Implementation of OAM Assisted Spectrally Efficient WDM Communication System Using Conventional Optical Fibers
||Science and Engineering Research Board
|Design Development and Characterization of Blue LED and Visible Laser Based Underwater Optical Wireless Communication System
||Defence Research and Development Organisation
|Member of Professional bodies
- Abhishek Mani Shukla, Sumanta Gupta, “Experimental demonstration: Differential detection of 10 Gbps optical OOK signal over turbulent channel,” Optik, Volume 266, 2022, 169564, ISSN 0030-4026, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2022.169564.
- S. Pal and S. Gupta, "Linear Dual-Series Mach Zehnder Modulator Employing Electrostatic Doping for Photonic Integrated Circuits," in IEEE Photonics Journal, vol. 14, no. 4, pp. 1-10, Aug. 2022, Art no. 6638510, doi: 10.1109/JPHOT.2022.3186764.
- Debi P. Jana, Abhishek M Shukla, and Sumanta Gupta, “K-Means Algorithm based Detection for WDM-OOK PD-NOMA System over Turbulent Optical Channel,” Optical Engineering, SPIE, 61(3), 036111 (29 March 2022). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.OE.61.3.036111
- S. Kumari, S. Nambiar, R. Kallega, S. K. Selvaraja and S. Gupta, "Hybrid SIN-SOI Bragg Filter in Presence of Stress-Optic Effect," in IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, vol. 58, no. 2, pp. 1-7, April 2022, Art no. 6600107, doi: 10.1109/JQE.2022.3145852.
- Sneha Kumari, S Gupta, “Design of narrow bandwidth Si3N4 stressor cladded cascaded IBG filter,” Optik, Volume 254, 2022,168564, ISSN 0030-4026,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2021.168564.
- S. Kumari and S. Gupta, "Simulation Study of Stress Effect on Performance and Design Methodology of Proposed Si/SiGe Integrated Bragg Grating Filter," in IEEE Transactions on Device and Materials Reliability, doi: 10.1109/TDMR.2021.3118382.
- S. Kumari and S. Gupta, “Study of Stress Effect on Optical Performance of Surface-Corrugated Hybrid Plasmonic IBG Filter”. Plasmonics (2021). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11468-021-01522-6
- Sneha Kumari, Sumanta Gupta, "Effect of stress and groove geometry on the performance of an IBG filter with Si3N4-filled corrugations," Photonics and Nanostructures - Fundamentals and Applications, Volume 46,2021, 100955, ISSN 1569-4410,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.photonics.2021.100955.
- Debi P. Jana and Sumanta Gupta, "K-means clustering-based detection for WDM PD-NOMA system with mixed fiber types," Optical Engineering 60(8), 086109 (25 August 2021). https://doi.org/10.1117/1.OE.60.8.086109
- Subhradeep Pal, Abhishek Kumar, Sumanta Gupta, “PAM-4 generation using an electrostatic doping aided single silicon microring modulator driven by two binary electrical signals, ” Optik, Volume 231,2021,166373,ISSN 0030-4026,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijleo.2021.166373.
- Debi Pada Jana, Sumanta Gupta, "Machine learning enabled detection for OOK-PD-NOMA system over standard single mode fiber," Optics Communications, Volume 473, 2020, 126049, ISSN 0030-4018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2020.126049.
- S. Kumari and S. Gupta, "Performance Estimation of Hybrid Plasmonic Waveguide in Presence of Stress," Plasmonics 16, 359–370 (2021). ttps://doi.org/10.1007/s11468-020-01279-4
- Subhradeep Pal, Sumanta Gupta, "Nonlinear performance and small signal model of junction-less microring modulator," Optics Communications, Volume 459, 2020, 124984, ISSN 0030-4018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2019.124984.
- Subhradeep Pal, Sumanta Gupta, "Junction-less optical phase shifter loaded silicon Mach–Zehnder modulator," Optics Communications, Volume 437, 2019, Pages 110-120, ISSN 0030-4018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2018.12.029.
- S. Pal, P. K. Tiwari and S. Gupta, "A Proposal for an Electrostatic Doping-Assisted Electroabsorption Modulator for Intrachip Communication," in IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 66, no. 5, pp. 2269-2275, May 2019, doi: 10.1109/TED.2019.2906673.
- S. Pal and S. Gupta, "Analysis of Silicon Racetrack Modulator Employing Coupling Modulation via Active MMI Coupler," in IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, vol. 18, pp. 392-400, 2019, doi: 10.1109/TNANO.2019.2909147.
- Subhradeep Pal, Sumanta Gupta, "Performance analysis of an electrostatic doping assisted silicon microring modulator," Optics Communications, Volume 430, 2019, Pages 131-138, ISSN 0030-4018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2018.08.015.
- Sneha Kumari, Sumanta Gupta, "Cladding stress induced performance variation of silicon MMI coupler," Photonics and Nanostructures - Fundamentals and Applications, Volume 33, 2019, Pages 55-65, ISSN 1569-4410, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.photonics.2018.10.006.
- S. Pal and S. Gupta, "Proposal and Analysis of a Silicon MMI Coupler-Based Electronically Controllable Photonic Switch," in IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 141-154, Nov.-Dec. 2016, Art no. 3600214, doi: 10.1109/JSTQE.2016.2545239.
- B. B. Bhowmik, S. Gupta, “Wavelength division multiplexed 16-QAM generator using silicon micro ring modulator with preconditioned electronic input.”. J Opt 45, 26–38 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12596-016-0314-9
- Bishanka Brata Bhowmik, Sumanta Gupta, "Proposal for an optical multicarrier generator based on single silicon micro-ring modulator," Optics Communications, Volume 349, 2015, Pages 132-137, ISSN 0030-4018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2015.03.023.
- Bishanka Brata Bhowmik, Sumanta Gupta, Ranjan Gangopadhyay, "Simultaneous demodulation and dispersion compensation of WDM DPSK channels using optical ring resonator," Optics Communications, Volume 285, Issue 16, 2012, Pages 3483-3486, ISSN 0030-4018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optcom.2012.04.005.
- BB Bhowmik, S Gupta, R Gangopadhyay, “Enhancement of the equalization range in a nonlinear micro-ring resonator based all-optical packet power equalizer using a genetic algorithm,” Journal of Optics, vol. 14, no. 7, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1088/2040-8978/14/7/075502
- S. Gupta, R. Gangopadhyay and G. Prati, "Reach Extension of a DPSK Optical Link Using an Optical Filter Demodulator and MLSE Receiver," in IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 20, no. 19, pp. 1630-1632, Oct.1, 2008, doi: 10.1109/LPT.2008.2002738.
- G. Contestabile, R. Proietti, M. Presi, S. Gupta, and E. Ciaramella, "All-optical 40 Gbits/s packet regeneration by means of cross-gain compression in a semiconductor optical amplifier," Opt. Lett. 33, 1470-1472 (2008)
- S. Gupta et al., "Operational Equivalence of Self-Switching in MZI and Nonlinear Polarization Switches Based on SOAs," in IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, vol. 14, no. 3, pp. 779-788, May-june 2008, doi: 10.1109/JSTQE.2008.916244.
- A. M. Shukla, A. Gupta and S. Gupta, "K-Means++ Algorithm Based Detection of QPSK-PD-NOMA Signal over Free Space Optical Channel," 2022 IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Computing and Communication Technologies (CONECCT), 2022, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/CONECCT55679.2022.9865103.
- A. M. Shukla and S. Gupta, "Simultaneous Measurement of Atmospheric Turbulence Induced Intensity and Polarization Fluctuation for Free Space Optical Communication," 2020 National Conference on Communications (NCC), 2020, pp. 1-4, doi: 10.1109/NCC48643.2020.9056060.
- D. P. Jana and S. Gupta, "Machine Learning Enabled Detection for QPSK-PD-NOMA System Employing Single Mode Fiber," 2020 National Conference on Communications (NCC), 2020, pp. 1-5, doi: 10.1109/NCC48643.2020.9056053.
- S. Pal, S. Saha and S. Gupta, "Electrostatic Doping Assisted Push-Pull Mach Zehnder Modulator for Optical Interconnects," 2020 XXXIIIrd General Assembly and Scientific Symposium of the International Union of Radio Science, 2020, pp. 1-4, doi: 10.23919/URSIGASS49373.2020.9232009.
- D. P. Jana, S. Pal, A. K. Mishra and S. Gupta, "Transmission of polarization division multiplexed 25-Gb/s data at 1.55 μm over 2 km OM1 fiber," 2018 3rd International Conference on Microwave and Photonics (ICMAP), 2018, pp. 1-2, doi: 10.1109/ICMAP.2018.8354483.
- S. Kumari and S. Gupta, "Study on temperature sensitivity of Si3N4 cladded silicon 2×2 MMI coupler," 2017 4th International Conference on Opto-Electronics and Applied Optics (Optronix), 2017, pp. 1-5, doi: 10.1109/OPTRONIX.2017.8349965.
- S. Pal, P. K. Tiwari and S. Gupta, "Novel optical modulator using junction-less metal gate MOS phase shifter on SOI platform," 2017 4th International Conference on Opto-Electronics and Applied Optics (Optronix), 2017, pp. 1-4, doi: 10.1109/OPTRONIX.2017.8349966.
- Y. K. Kanth, S. Majhi and S. Gupta, "Selection of path and wavelength for setting up a free space optical link," 2016 IEEE Students’ Technology Symposium (TechSym), 2016, pp. 24-29, doi: 10.1109/TechSym.2016.7872649.
- S. Pal and S. Gupta, "MMI Coupler Based Miniature Electronically Controlled Photonic Switch on InGaAsP on Insulator Platform," in 13th International Conference on Fiber Optics and Photonics, OSA Technical Digest (online) (Optical Society of America, 2016), paper Th3A.84.
- B. B. Bhowmik, S. Narayana, and S. Gupta, "Simultaneous Demodulation and CD Compensation using Optical Ring Resonator under Nonlinear Transmission," in 12th International Conference on Fiber Optics and Photonics, OSA Technical Digest (online) (Optical Society of America, 2014), paper S4B.4.
- B. B. Bhowmik and S. Gupta, "Silicon micro-ring assisted WDM modulator for flexible modulation format," 2014 Twentieth National Conference on Communications (NCC), 2014, pp. 1-6, doi: 10.1109/NCC.2014.6811258.
- B. B. Bhowmik and S. Gupta, "Silicon micro-ring resonator based 16-QAM modulator for WDM transmission systems," 2013 International Conference on Microwave and Photonics (ICMAP), 2013, pp. 1-5, doi: 10.1109/ICMAP.2013.6733528.
- Bishanka Brata Bhowmik, S. Gupta and R. Gangopadhyay, "All optical packet power equalizer realized by nonlinear micro ring resonator loaded Mach-Zehnder interferometer structure," 2013 International Conference on Microwave and Photonics (ICMAP), 2013, pp. 1-4, doi: 10.1109/ICMAP.2013.6733540.
- B. B. Bhowmik, S. Gupta and R. Gangopadhyay, "All-optical packet power equalizer for DPSK signal using nonlinear micro ring resonator," 2013 National Conference on Communications (NCC), 2013, pp. 1-5, doi: 10.1109/NCC.2013.6487944.
- U. Rai, R. Gangopadhyay and S. Gupta, "Performance analysis of OFDM transmission over 800 kms using mid-link optical phase conjugation and all Raman amplification," 2012 5th International Conference on Computers and Devices for Communication (CODEC), 2012, pp. 1-4, doi: 10.1109/CODEC.2012.6509328.
- R. Agarwal, R. Gangopadhyay, S. Mishra and S. Gupta, "Group velocity dispersion and nonlinearity tolerance of micro-ring resonator based filter demodulator for DQPSK signal," 2012 National Conference on Communications (NCC), 2012, pp. 1-5, doi: 10.1109/NCC.2012.6176858.
- B. B. Bhowmik, S. Gupta and R. Gangopadhyay, "All-optical packet power equalizer using nonlinear micro-ring resonator," 2011 Annual IEEE India Conference, 2011, pp. 1-4, doi: 10.1109/INDCON.2011.6139453.
- R. Agarwal, R. Gangopadhyay, G. Prati, S. Gupta and P. Pintus, "Optimally apodized ring-resonator filter for DPSK demodulation," 2009 4th International Conference on Computers and Devices for Communication (CODEC), 2009, pp. 1-4.
- G. Contestabile, R. Proietti, S. Gupta, M. Presi, and E. Ciaramella, "40 Gb/s Packet Reshaping with no Wavelength Shift using SOA Cross Gain Compression," in Conference on Lasers and Electro-Optics/Quantum Electronics and Laser Science Conference and Photonic Applications Systems Technologies, OSA Technical Digest (CD) (Optical Society of America, 2008), paper CThH6.
- S. Gupta, M. Presi, N. Calabretta, G. Contestabile and E. Ciaramella, "Operational Equivalence of Self-Switching Effect in SOA-based Nonlinear Polarization and MZI Switches," LEOS 2007 - IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optics Society Annual Meeting Conference Proceedings, 2007, pp. 810-811, doi: 10.1109/LEOS.2007.4382655.
- M. Presi, S. Gupta, N. Calabretta, G. Contestabile and E. Ciaramella, "DPSK Packet-Level Power Equalization by means of Nonlinear Polarization Rotation in an SOA," 2007 Photonics in Switching, 2007, pp. 157-158, doi: 10.1109/PS.2007.4300792.
- S. Gupta, R. Gangopadhyay, and G. Prati, "Limitation of an MLSD Receiver for 10Gbp/s Lightwave Communication Links due to Fiber Nonlinearity," Japan-Indo Workshop on Microwaves, Photonics, and Communication Systems, Fukuoka, Japan, 2007.
- S. Gupta, R. Gangopadhyay and G. Prati, "Genetic Algorithm Assisted Bit Error Rate Monitoring in Communication Links," 2006 International Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, 2006, pp. 60-63, doi: 10.1109/ICECE.2006.355290.
- S. Gupta, N. Calabretta, G. Contestabile, E. Ciaramella and R. Gangopadhyay, "Experimental Characterization of SOA-Based Wavelength Converters for DPSK Signals," 2006 First International Conference on Communications and Networking in China, 2006, pp. 1-5, doi: 10.1109/CHINACOM.2006.344666.
- S. Gupta, R. Gangopadhyay and G. Prati, "Impact of SPM on Dispersion Compensated DPSK Transmission Link under Tight Optical Filtering," 2006 Annual IEEE India Conference, 2006, pp. 1-5, doi: 10.1109/INDCON.2006.302807.
- S. Gupta, R. Gangopadhyay and G. Prati, "Accurate BER Estimation of Optical DPSK Systems using Sum of Gaussian Approximation," COIN-NGNCON 2006 - The Joint International Conference on Optical Internet and Next Generation Network, 2006, pp. 46-48, doi: 10.1109/COINNGNCON.2006.4454474.
- S. Gupta, and Ranjan Gangopadhyay, “Performance Analysis of RZ-DPSK Transmission over 10×80 km Using Mid-Link Optical Phase Conjugation and All-Raman Amplification.” National Conference on Communications (NCC) (2005).